Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Composting 101

These days my breakfast consists of avocado spread on toast. I'm always in a hurry so I prepare it at work. But since we've begun composting, I never know what I can throw in the container. Does anyone know anything about composting avocados? My first instinct is that they are too fatty to throw in there and will probably stink up the place? Does anyone know a good website that has a list of things I can compost. I found something, but it wasn't very extensive.

Banana Skins - Yes. Decompose rapidly; can help to activate a slow compost; loaded with plant nutrients
Citrus Fruits - Yes. Shred rinds; bury in compost to discourage fruit flies
Coffee Grounds - Yes. Good earthworm food; use directly on many plants; compost shredded filters, too
Corn Cobs - Yes. Shred; adds both fibre and nutrients to compost; good mulch; slow to break down
Dairy Products - No. Fats seal off air from compost; odours attract pests
Eggshells - Yes. Dry and crush first; good earthworm food; slow to break down; help neutralize acidity; as mulch, may discourage slugs
Fish - Maybe. Odours and pests are problems with fresh or smoked fish, but dried fishmeal is fine
Seafood Shells - Yes. Crush or grind very finely; break down very slowly; reduce acidity; good mulch
Soup - Maybe. Vegetable, yes; do not use soups with cream or meat-based broths to avoid odours and pests; read abels on canned soups.

4 comments:

Charles said...

Can we use the paper shredder on those citrus rinds?

Joyce Byrne said...

You know the paper shredder is just a box, don't you, Charles?

Tracy if you can post some links that would be cool. I'm thinking about composting on my balcony.

Charles said...

Seriously though...how do we shred things like rinds??

Prodboy@venture said...

Don't be silly Charles. We have garburators for that!