Monday, June 11, 2007

The Paper Chase

I wanted my first post regarding the August issue of Alberta Venture to be all about the paper we will be printing it on. Obviously, our "green" issue will be printed on recycled paper, as are the subscription insert cards running inside. I know the paper will be "My Connection" which is supplied by the company Myllykoski


The paper comes in two variations, each has 85% or more recycled content. Once I know for sure which version, I'll share more detail about the paper. Choosing to print on recycled paper stock, for a magazine, is a complicated issue. First of all, the paper is not cheaper because of its source, ("it's made out of trash, therefore it must be cheaper than virgin paper). Secondly while there is a wide variety of paper available with recycled content, not all of it is suitable for printing a magazine on, and it may not all be available through my/your printing company. (And don't get me started about misconceptions that the paper will look "dull" coupled with the known problems with ink absorption on the press.) Our printer has been helpful in sourcing some options for us and we've narrowed it down to My Connection. More to come when we have the details.

No comments: